On my first flight today I sat next to a woman who looked to be around the same age as me. When I sat down she pulled out her phone. Scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll. Her shoulders were slouched and her head tilted down in the infamous position causing our generation a slew of neck and back pain problems. As soon as we took off she put in her EarPods and closed her eyes. Once we landed? Phone out, position assumed, scroll, scroll, scroll.
You probably wonder why I’m telling you this story... loneliness and feelings of isolation are one of the number one complaints of people my age these days... it’s a major contributor to the ever rising depression and anxiety.. and yet, when faced with an opportunity to meet new people so many people completely close themselves off..
She probably didn’t notice but I sat for most of the flight with my devices down waiting for an opportunity to say hi or introduce myself. I travel a lot and have grown to love hearing the life stories of my seat mates... Even with my social anxiety clawing at me, I’ve found that once I just say hi and start asking the person next to me questions the conversation begins to flow naturally.
I know some of you are thinking, “well isn’t this app a part of how you make your living?” It is... but it’s not my life. When given the opportunity to choose between in person interaction and online interaction I do my best to be with who and what’s in front of me. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Listen, I know there’s a million reasons she might have kept to herself today and I’m not here to place any judgement or make any assumptions about this women in particular. Maybe she’s going to a funeral. Maybe she needs rest before a presentation! I’m just using the story as an example we can all relate to (I’ve been that girl myself many, many times before!). All I’m getting at here is that there is a big bad world out there beyond this screen and I hope that we don’t get so lost in here that we forget that.
Photo by @photograferg ...
Surround yourself with people who lift you up. People who see the best in you and want the best for you. People who will celebrate your successes and be the ear you need when things aren’t going so smooth.
The last few years have been huge personal growth years for me but I can honestly say that there’s no way I’d be anywhere near where I am without the support, encouragement, and friendships I’ve made along the way.
As a recovering tomboy who used to really struggle making girlfriends, I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the badass lady friends I have in my life these days. Cheers to being vulnerable... to keeping it real... and to crushing some big goals. ...
Another weekend, another location ⛰ Foggy and mystic Mtirala National Park 🌳 ...
Hi! 👋👋 We're the McDonald's! (No relation 😉) and this was the last photo of us all together before baby Holden arrived. I figured it was finally time to introduce ourselves! Here are 4 fun facts about each of us:
1) I'm an entrepreneur at heart ❤ I've owned and operated a small consignment store for 8 years that I'll be retiring from in November. I'll be staying home with the boys and continuing my side-hustle with @arbonne 💚
2) I LIVE FOR interiors and interior design/decorating. My current inspo/faves are @chrislovesjulia@jennykomenda@amberinteriors and @younghouselove 🥰
3) The name @aggietheairstream came from my dear friend Mary @m_m 0708 whose sisters name is Aggie 😍
4) Travis and I have been married for almost 11 years. I'm the one with #wanderlust he's the one with #deeproots 🌿
1) Co-manages his family's commercial roofing business (also entrepreneur-minded) 😊
2) Is seasonally unemployed, making him the braun behind Aggie the Airstream 😁
3) An avid outdoorsman, wild game hunter, gardener and fearless DIY partner! 🙌
4) Supports me and my crazy dreams and ideas 💯❤
1) 4 years old
2) starting preschool next week 😭
3) has the biggest heart of pure gold 💛
4) is the BEST sidekick/helper/big brother we could ask for!
1) 10 year old fox red labrador retriever
2) hunting bird dog to the bone but also an amazing mouser! 🐀
3) has never bitten or snarled at anyone in her life
4) loves to follow Weston around, especially if he's eating 🤣
We'll be back to introduce my Dad a bit later! He's the wizard behind most of what happens with Aggie! •
If you're still reading, thank you!! We'd love to know something fun about you! Let us know below ⬇️ ...
Climbing the andesite columns of Royal Arches in southeastern Washington was a blast! ...